Re: Regclass what does reg mean

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Cabe Steele <cabesteele(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regclass what does reg mean
Date: 2021-11-12 20:54:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Cabe Steele <cabesteele(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

The origin is lost in the mists of time --- regproc dates back to
Berkeley times, and the rest of those were named on its precedent.
I've always supposed that it meant "registered", as in "entered in
the system catalogs", but I wasn't there when regproc was invented.

I wonder if there's any evidence for that ... [ digs ] ... ah-hah,
ref.cat in the Postgres v4r2 tarball, dated 03/13/94, says

POSTGRES Type Meaning Required
regproc registered procedure *