Re: inserts slow on table of about 600K recs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jlhudson(at)www(dot)dminfo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inserts slow on table of about 600K recs
Date: 2003-03-14 04:55:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joe Hudson <jlhudson(at)www(dot)dminfo(dot)com> writes:
> Running v7.2.2 on Linux RH 7.2 with 256Mb RAM: inserts "apparently"
> slowed down to taking a couple of seconds when the table reached around
> 600K recs / 190 Mb.

Inserting per se should be a constant-time operation, independent of the
size of the table. The index updates are not constant-time, but I can't
see any reason for their performance to suddenly fall off a cliff
either. What I'm wondering about is triggers --- in particular, do you
have any foreign keys in this table? Checking the foreign references
could be where the problem is.