Re: New Copy Formats - avro/orc/parquet

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Nicolas Paris <niparisco(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Copy Formats - avro/orc/parquet
Date: 2018-02-11 22:48:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> So, I think making COPY extensible would be quite beneficial. I'm
> however quite doubtful that we want to add core code to handle all of
> the above. I think we should make the COPY input/output formatting
> extensible by extensions.

+1. I can't see carrying code for these formats in-core, but I've
no objection to making it possible for someone else to maintain them.

> I imagine we'd have callbacks for
> - start copy in / out
> - output row, with a an array of values/nulls
> - parse row, with a input buffer as argument, returning values / nulls arrays
> - finish copy in / out

Also something to allow absorbing format-specific options, if the
precedent of CSV is anything to go by. (Any such patch should manage
to turn COPY-CSV into an extension, at least so far as copy.c is
concerned, even if we don't package it as one.)