libpq version in rpm packages

From: Brian Mathis <brian(dot)mathis(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: libpq version in rpm packages
Date: 2005-11-09 17:33:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I just set up a new server and would like to use rpms to manage the software
on this one. I've done the compile from source thing most of the time, but
over time it seems to get messy.

I'm using CentOS 4.2, which only has packages for postgres 7.4, but I very
much want to use 8.1. I installed the 8.1 RPMs, but when I try to install
packages like perl-DBD-Pg, or php-pgsql, rpm complains because they want
libpq.so.3, and postgres 8.1 comes with libpq.so.4.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? I've thought about forcing the rpms
to install, or even installing the postgres libs from 7.4.

Suggestions?

Thanks.