Re: BUG #14555: EBUSY error on read() on NFS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ashwath(dot)rao(at)altair(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14555: EBUSY error on read() on NFS
Date: 2017-02-20 04:43:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ashwath(dot)rao(at)altair(dot)com writes:
> Once we have this, we seem to have errors only on that one file, but EBUSY
> is _really_ puzzling. It's not one of the valid errno setting for a read()
> system call.

Indeed. Some googling suggests that this might be a known issue
in the kernel: Red Hat fixed something with similar symptoms in their
RHEL6 series about a year ago. You might want to check for SLES updates,
and pester SUSE if there's not a fix available. It seems highly unlikely
that it's Postgres' fault in any meaningful sense, in any case.

(FWIW, a lot of Postgres hackers consider NFS to be too unreliable to
keep a database on. NFS is great, don't get me wrong, but it's got a
very long track record of intermittent weirdness like this. If you're
trying to get from three-nines to five-nines reliability, keeping your
data on NFS is a serious stumbling block to getting there.)