Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup

From: "Porwal, Utkarsh" <utkarsh(dot)porwal(at)emc(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup
Date: 2015-09-07 16:48:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

I am taking a filesystem backup of the postgress data directory with the db stopped since I don't have pg_dump backups. Can you suggest how to restore it from this backup?

Can I stop the db, delete the actual data directory and move back the backed up data directory and start postgress?

Thanks and Regards,
Utkarsh Porwal