Re: BUG #12721: psql -a does not preserve empty lines between SELECTs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #12721: psql -a does not preserve empty lines between SELECTs
Date: 2015-01-31 18:35:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz writes:
> There is, in the [doc] that psql with option -a echoes all input lines.

Hm. That's poorly phrased: what it actually echoes is commands, not
lines. This must be so because some of the other possible settings of
ECHO require decisions at the per-command level. I will see about
improving the wording here.

> The empty line has disappeared. If there had been a comment line, it would
> have been preserved. Preserve also empty lines, please.

Sorry, that's not going to happen. psql has always stripped whitespace
appearing before a command, and changing that would create a lot of
unhappiness in a lot of other behaviors.

> PS: Please, is there a better way how to specify tab as delimiter?

Maybe put \pset fieldsep '\t' in the input .sql file, instead of setting
it up on the command line.