Re: BUG #9548: jpg error 53 when trying to view jpg stored in blob field

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joyce(dot)Kai(at)honeywell(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #9548: jpg error 53 when trying to view jpg stored in blob field
Date: 2014-03-12 18:49:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Joyce(dot)Kai(at)honeywell(dot)com writes:
> I use PostgreSQL in an application written in Delphi. We started with
> PostgreSQL 8.1. I store a jpg image in a blob field using Delphi code. We
> recently upgraded to 8.3 because 8.1 is no longer supported. However, the
> installation for 8.3 frequently fails on Windows 7 64-bit, and PostgreSQL
> 8.3 is about to be obsoleted anyway, so we have been telling them to
> download and install the latest version when it fails. A few users have
> installed 9.3. When they attempt to view the jpg image stored in the
> database, they get jpg error 53.

You've provided almost no information about what's happening at the
database level, but a likely guess is that you're storing the image in
a bytea field and there's client-side code that doesn't know about the
hex-based bytea output format that was introduced in 9.0. If you don't
want to update the client code you can set bytea_output = escape to get
the old format.

A different line of thought is that the client-side code may be confused
about whether to double backslashes in input strings; that would be
associated with the standard_conforming_strings setting, which has also
changed its default since 8.1.