Re: Patch for Improved Syntax Error Reporting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)cygnus(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Padgett <npadgett(at)redhat(dot)com>, "pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for Improved Syntax Error Reporting
Date: 2001-08-01 22:22:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)cygnus(dot)com> writes:
> If instead of printing:
> ERROR: A parse error near "foo"
> we print
> ERROR: A parse error near "foo" (index=10)
> it should not affect any of the existing clients.

One objection to this idea is that it doesn't play nicely with
localization of error message texts. I'd sooner do

ERROR: A parse error near "foo"
ERRORLOCATION: 10

which doesn't create any problems with localization (there's no
particular need to translate the keywords, since a client probably
wouldn't show them to the user anyway). It's just as backward
compatible, and not that much uglier for an old client.