Re: Planner decisions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wappler, Robert" <rwappler(at)ophardt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planner decisions
Date: 2010-07-16 17:00:54
Lists: pgsql-general

"Wappler, Robert" <rwappler(at)ophardt(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is a query and its corresponding plan, where sorting of the CTE
> acts seems to be the bottle neck. It is a real execution plan captured
> with the auto_explain module.

There isn't a lot of intelligence about CTEs at the moment; in
particular I don't believe we have any provision for recognizing that
the output of a CTE is already sorted by anything the outer query would
recognize. The CTE is just a black box as far as the upper plan is
concerned.

In principle it's doable, I think, but nobody's spent much effort on
CTE optimization yet.