Re: Backup taking long time !!!

From: Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dinesh Chandra 12108 <Dinesh(dot)Chandra(at)cyient(dot)com>, "Madusudanan(dot)B(dot)N" <b(dot)n(dot)madusudanan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Backup taking long time !!!
Date: 2017-01-20 16:44:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

> 20 янв. 2017 г., в 18:06, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> написал(а):
>
> Right, without incremental or compressed backups, you'd have to have
> room for 7 full copies of your database. Have you looked at what your
> incrementals would be like with file-level incrementals and compression?

Most of our DBs can’t use partitioning over time-series fields, so we have a lot of datafiles in which only a few pages have been modified. So file-level increments didn’t really work for us. And we didn’t use compression in barman before patching it because single-threaded compression sucks.

> How are you testing your backups..? Do you have page-level checksums
> enabled on your database?

Yep, we use checksums. We restore latest backup with recovery_target = 'immediate' and do COPY tablename TO '/dev/null’ with checking exit code for each table in each database (in several threads, of course).

> pgbackrest recently added the ability to
> check PG page-level checksums during a backup and report issues.

Sounds interesting, should take a look.

--
May the force be with you…
https://simply.name