BUG #17937: Corrupt Indexes after reusing DRBD Device on new VM

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: marc(dot)morad(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #17937: Corrupt Indexes after reusing DRBD Device on new VM
Date: 2023-05-17 09:42:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 17937
Logged by: Marc Morad
Email address: marc(dot)morad(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.8
Operating system: Alma 8

This problem occured on PostgreSQL version 13.8 and 14.7.

After we migrated the VM from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8, we had a few issues
with broken/corrupt indexes. This problem occured a total of 3 times. Each
time the procedure of the migration was exactly the same.
We are using a DRBD device to store our database redundantly, which we
reused when we migrated to AlmaLinux 8.

The error messages all looked very similar to the following:
Database error: [S]ERROR#012[V]ERROR#012[C]XX002#012[M]table tid from new
index tuple (3346213,70) cannot find insert offset between offsets 2 and 4
of block 5485 in index

Have you ever heard of a similiar problem ?
Any leads what might cause these problems would be very helpful.

Thank you and kind regards,
Marc