Re: Template for commit messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Template for commit messages
Date: 2016-01-28 14:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Why can't we do both? That is, have a free-form text with the nuances, and
>> then Reviewed-By listing the main reviewers? The first one is for humans,
>> the other one for automated tools.

> I'm not objecting to or endorsing any specific proposal, just asking
> what we want to do about this. I think the trick if we do it that way
> will be to avoid having it seem like too much duplication, but there
> may be a way to manage that.

FWIW, I'm a bit suspicious of the idea that we need to make the commit
messages automated-tool-friendly. What tools are there that would need
to extract this info, and would we trust them if they didn't understand
"nuances"?

I'm on board with Bruce's template as being a checklist of points to be
sure to cover when composing a commit message. I'm not sure we need
fixed-format rules.