Re: Segmentation fault calling shared object file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Moore <martin(dot)moore(at)avbrief(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault calling shared object file
Date: 2017-01-24 15:37:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Martin Moore <martin(dot)moore(at)avbrief(dot)com> writes:
> Hi, I have a ‘C’ shared object that has been running on postgres since 8.3 and maybe before – on 32 bit Debian. Currently on 9.3.
> I’m trying to migrate to Google cloud (64 bit Debian) and get a seg fault when calling one of the functions which have been recompiled on the Google instance.
> This occurs on 9.3, 9.4 and 9.5 which leads me to believe it’s an environment/architecture issue.

Given the facts stated, the most obvious explanation is that there's
something in your code that's dependent on a 32-bit environment ---
trying to store a pointer in an integer, say. Can't debug it for
you though. I'd suggest recompiling with full warnings (gcc -Wall
at least) and paying close attention to anything the compiler warns
about.