Re: commit not completing - how to investigate?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Dudgeon <tdudgeon(dot)ml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: commit not completing - how to investigate?
Date: 2017-07-21 17:23:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tim Dudgeon <tdudgeon(dot)ml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, the state is "idle", and the command is "COMMIT".
> But if the COMMIT has completed then the process should finish and the
> row not be present?

Well, that's up to the connected client whether it's going to terminate
the session or not.

> So is what you are suggesting that in my case I'm using a connection
> pool, and the COMMIT has completed successfully, the connection released
> back to the pool, but not yet closed, so that process is still running?

That's sort of the point of a connection pooler, to re-use database
sessions rather than establishing new ones all the time. But the
database doesn't know that a pooler is in use; it just sees a client
connection that's not doing anything right now.