Re: [HACKERS] Re: map

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: map
Date: 1999-03-10 16:02:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> I prefer the 'flat-globe' for what you are attempting to do...its also
>> easier to see...you don't have to "follow the dot"...

> OK, new map, older dots, but they now have fuzzy edges. Much better.

I like the look better, but (putting on my graphics-guy hat) that GIF
is *huge*. 175K is a tad of an excessive download for a web-page
frammish. Also it doesn't look very good if your browser's page
background is not white --- there's a white ring around each
continent thanks to poor antialiasing.

The extent of the dithering makes me think the image was made from a
truecolor original. If so JPEG at a moderately high quality setting
would work better (and look much better on truecolor displays), though
you'd lose the ability to have a transparent background. PNG is also a
possibility if you want to assume that visitors have recent browsers.

regards, tom lane
organizer, Independent JPEG Group
member, PNG development group