Re: The IYYY mess again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The IYYY mess again
Date: 2014-12-29 19:12:31
Lists: pgsql-docs

David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane-2 wrote
>> There is a warning against combining IYYY with MM/DD, but it's buried
>> in trivia far down the page.

> Can we move this warning/notice into code? Basically warn/disallow
> IYYY-MM-DD (and similar) as a valid format?

> And why not make it an error. If someone really needed to output mixed
> modes they would be able to concatenate the two halves together to get the
> desired result so it isn't like we are making it impossible to accomplish -
> but the typical mistake goes away.

I would say no, and no. It's not at all unreasonable to want to print
"YYYY-MM-DD (IYYY-IDDD)" or something like that. And even if we think
it's dumb, it's not to_char()'s place to tell people they can't print
silly combinations. One could argue in fact that the only reason for
to_char() to live at all is to print "silly" combinations --- otherwise,
you might as well just cast your timestamp to text.