Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Chris Withers <chris(at)withers(dot)org>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql(at)freebsd(dot)org" <pgsql(at)freebsd(dot)org>
Subject: Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?
Date: 2019-11-24 15:35:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net> writes:
> 16 nov. 2019 kl. 23:06 skrev Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> Perhaps the best thing would be to revert this for the older
>> PostgreSQL releases so that people doing minor version upgrades are
>> inconvenienced by a system that can't start up after "pkg upgrade",
>> but do it for 12 since not many people will be using that yet?

> That could be a way, yes. Any thoughts on this from others following this thread?

I whined about this on the tz mailing list, and got the attention of
the FreeBSD tzdata package maintainer [1]. It seems possible that he'll
change that policy, so I'd advise doing nothing until that discussion
settles.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-November/028633.html