Re: Erroneous -Werror=missing-braces on old GCC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Erroneous -Werror=missing-braces on old GCC
Date: 2023-12-25 04:23:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I came across the 'missing braces' warning again when building master
>> (0a93f803f4) on old GCC (4.8.5).

> On the one hand, it's probably pointless to worry about buggy
> warnings from ancient compilers ...

Actually, after checking the buildfarm, I see that

arowana
ayu
batfish
boa
buri
demoiselle
dhole
dragonet
idiacanthus
lapwing
mantid
petalura
rhinoceros
shelduck
siskin
tanager
topminnow
xenodermus

are all bitching about this (with a couple different spellings
of the warning). So this is absolutely something to fix, and
I'm rather surprised that nobody noticed it during the development
of 174c48050.