Re: CTE inlining

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Mario Becroft <mb(at)true(dot)group>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ilya Shkuratov <motr(dot)ilya(at)ya(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Serge Rielau <serge(at)rielau(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CTE inlining
Date: 2017-05-09 19:36:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
> peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> If we just tell them that the thing they might have relied on might go
>> away, without a replacement to suggest, then we're just confusing and
>> scaring them, no?

> ​We'd end up suggesting our OFFSET 0 hack as true protection.

Considering that many of the commenters in this thread view OFFSET 0
as a vile hack that ought to go away, I can hardly see how that's
an improvement.

I tend to agree with Peter that there's no need to do anything until
we have a committable code improvement. Documentation changes that
push people towards adding OFFSET 0, without any certainty that that
will be the long-term answer, do not seem like a net positive.

Also, considering that this behavior has been there since 8.4,
I think it's sheerest chutzpah to claim that changing the docs in
v10 would materially reduce the backward-compatibility concerns
for whatever we might do in v11.