BUG #17456: pg_dump creates dump that does not fully respect operator schema location

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: agrossman(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #17456: pg_dump creates dump that does not fully respect operator schema location
Date: 2022-04-05 15:24:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 17456
Logged by: Andrew Grossman
Email address: agrossman(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 14.2
Operating system: MacOS 12.3

I have a case where an AFTER ROW trigger has a condition comparing two ltree
fields. The ltree extension is installed in a different schema than the
triggered table is. Upon restoration, the following error is encountered:

psql:/tmp/bugreport.sql:93: ERROR: 42883: operator does not exist:
util.ltree = util.ltree
LINE 1: ...N my_schema.my_table FOR EACH ROW WHEN ((new.path IS DISTINC...
^
HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.
LOCATION: op_error, parse_oper.c:731

The following sql will reproduce this case:

===================================

CREATE SCHEMA my_schema;
CREATE SCHEMA util;
CREATE EXTENSION ltree WITH SCHEMA util;
SET SEARCH_PATH=my_schema,util;
CREATE TABLE my_schema.my_table
(path ltree);

CREATE FUNCTION my_schema.noop() RETURNS trigger
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
BEGIN
RETURN NEW;
END;
$$;

CREATE TRIGGER path_update_after_trg
AFTER UPDATE ON my_schema.my_table
FOR EACH ROW WHEN ((new.path IS DISTINCT FROM old.path))
EXECUTE FUNCTION my_schema.noop();

===================================
end of reproduction setup sql.

Execution looks like:
===================================
> createdb my_restore_db; pg_dump my_source_db | psql my_restore_db

CREATE TABLE
Time: 15.558 ms
ALTER TABLE
Time: 0.293 ms
COPY 0
Time: 0.216 ms
ERROR: 42883: operator does not exist: util.ltree = util.ltree
LINE 1: ...N my_schema.my_table FOR EACH ROW WHEN ((new.path IS DISTINC...
^
HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.
LOCATION: op_error, parse_oper.c:731
Time: 3.546 ms

This is against server 13.6 with client 14.2.

My workaround for the current bug is to cast the comparison fields to text.