Re: Duplicating website's formatting in local doc builds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicating website's formatting in local doc builds
Date: 2020-02-15 01:51:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> A potential solution is that we drop the use of "monospace" in relying
> on the OS default and just pick a font. I would say that this is outside
> the scope of the patch that's being proposed, but certainly something to
> look into on the pgweb side given we're creating an inconsistent
> cross-browser experience.

Agreed, not in-scope for this patch.

>> The point about network access seems to me to be sufficient reason not
>> to make it the default. I'd actually say that we ought to annotate
>> section J.3.1 to point out that "make STYLE=website" will result in
>> that. However, I'm not quite clear on whether that means external
>> access during viewing, or during build, or both? The note should say.

> It would only be during viewing -- the build just puts the URL into the
> HTML file.

OK.

> But don't take my word for it, please see the attached patch ;)

Hm, I wouldn't go into that much detail; it'd likely soon be out of
date anyway. I had in mind something more like "If the STYLE=website
option is used, the generated HTML files will include references to
stylesheets hosted at www.postgresql.org, so that viewing them will
require network access."