Re: best place for xstrdup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mendola Gaetano" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best place for xstrdup
Date: 2003-09-16 15:08:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mendola Gaetano" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> if ( !ret_value ) {
> ereport(FATAL,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_OUT_OF_MEMORY),
> errmsg("strdup out of memory")));
> }

Should be ERROR not FATAL (the places that are insisting on FATAL are
special cases that won't be able to use this code). Also the text
should just be "out of memory".

Per previous discussion, I don't believe in the test for null input,
either ...

It might be worth creating an xmalloc as well, since I think there
are some unchecked malloc's in some places.

As for where to put it, mcxt.c may be the best place. aset.c does
not contain any routines that are supposed to be globally known.