BUG #17377: only superusers can query or manipulate replication origins

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com
Subject: BUG #17377: only superusers can query or manipulate replication origins
Date: 2022-01-22 09:12:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 17377
Logged by: James Pang
Email address: chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.4
Operating system: RHEL8.4

PG 13.4 on RHEL8.4 ,
we have a user with REPLICATION for logical replication , try to handle
"replication change loop back" by set replication origin,

select pg_replication_origin_create('test');
ERROR: only superusers can query or manipulate replication origins

Is it possible to "remove superuser() check" for pg_replication related
functions and view query, we expect any role with replication can
create/drop origin, and roles with pg_monitor can query the progress.

we tested that PG 14.1 works if we grant execution privileges , is it
possible to merge the similar enhancement to Postgresql 13.5 or next minor
version ? so we can use that in pg13 version.

Thanks,

James