Re: startup time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
Cc: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: startup time
Date: 2005-06-21 21:11:05
Lists: pgsql-general

"David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com> writes:
> The problem we are having is that in a customer installation, the
> startup on the database is taking significantly longer than we have ever
> seen it take before.

Are we talking seconds, minutes, hours, days?

> But what I'm curious about is what set of things have to happen between
> startup and the server being ready to accept requests. This happens on a
> fresh install, so I don't *think* it should be recovery processing.

If it's not doing recovery then the Postgres time proper should be
no more than a second or so, in my experience. Look for
outside-the-database factors. One possibility is a broken DNS
configuration leading to long delays in trying to resolve socket
addresses and such. I've never seen such a problem causing a delay
over a minute though ....