BUG #17326: Postgres crashed when pg_reload_conf() with ssl certificate parameters

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com
Subject: BUG #17326: Postgres crashed when pg_reload_conf() with ssl certificate parameters
Date: 2021-12-08 04:02:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 17326
Logged by: James Pang
Email address: chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.4
Operating system: RHEL8.4

we need SSL enabled for our production env, when I test renew a ssl
certificate , and reload_conf, it crashed. even with same certificate and
ssl parameters, run reload_conf often lead to Postgres crash. For example
:

=# select name,setting from pg_settings where name like 'ssl_%' order by
name;
name | setting
----------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
ssl_ca_file |
/var/lib/pgsql/sslcerts/awstestca.crt
ssl_cert_file |
/var/lib/pgsql/sslcerts/server.crt
ssl_ciphers | HIGH:MEDIUM:+3DES:!aNULL
ssl_crl_file |
ssl_dh_params_file |
ssl_ecdh_curve | prime256v1
ssl_key_file |
/var/lib/pgsql/sslcerts/server.key
ssl_library | OpenSSL
ssl_max_protocol_version |
ssl_min_protocol_version | TLSv1.2
ssl_passphrase_command |
ssl_passphrase_command_supports_reload | off
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers | on
(13 rows)

=# select pg_reload_conf();
pg_reload_conf
(1 row)

=# select pg_reload_conf();
pg_reload_conf
(1 row)

=# select pg_reload_conf();
FATAL: terminating connection due to unexpected postmaster exit
before or while processing the request.