Re: How to execute the sql file in PSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Mark <jxustnc(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to execute the sql file in PSQL
Date: 2020-10-05 16:01:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 10/5/20 7:55 AM, Mark wrote:
>> I followed one PostgreSQL tutorial step by step. One session to use PSQL
>> to execute sql files to create a new database in PostgreSQL.
>> 1.  copy  paste the sql file within "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12"
>> directory.
>> 2.  execute the following code \i  C:\\Program
>> Files\\PostgreSQL\\12\\demo-big-en-20170815.sql
>>
>> Failed
>> The message shows C:: Permission denied

> The issue is the user you are running psql as does not have permissions
> to read the file. This is a OS permissions thing. Either run psql as a
> user that can read the file or change the permissions on the file to
> those that allow the psql user to read it.

... or more likely, put the SQL file in a saner place. Dropping random
files into a program directory can only lead to trouble. You should
treat such directories as read-only unless you know exactly what you
are doing.

It seems likely to me that this failure stems from PG being installed
with permissions settings that prevent it from reading/modifying its own
executables, which is good solid security practice.

(If the tutorial actually told you to do that, the tutorial's author
is utterly clueless.)