Re: [BUG] views and functions on relations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] views and functions on relations
Date: 2001-04-19 02:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
> Something (when the query is evaluated, before cust_name function is
> called) sets the tupdesc->natts=0,

FWIW, I have just looked through all the code that sets natts fields,
and I don't believe that any of it can set a tupdesc's natts field to
zero. Therefore the zeroing must be an accidental stomp of some kind.
Since natts is the first field in a tupdesc, it seems plausible that
this might happen if some bit of code misinterprets a tupdesc pointer
as something else. However, that makes the odds of finding the problem
by staring at code even lower. I really need to get after this with
a debugger...

BTW, are you building with --enable-cassert? If not I strongly recommend
it for chasing this sort of problem.