Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Held <dave(dot)held(at)arraysg(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date: 2005-05-11 04:41:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, so it seems we need:

> o make private objects accessable only to objects
> in the same schema
> o Allow current_schema.objname to access current
> schema objects
> o session variables
> o nested schemas?

There's been a lot of handwaving about nested schemas in this thread,
but no one has explained how they could actually *work* given the SQL
syntax rules. In general, "a" is a column from the current table
set, "a.b" is a column b in table/alias a from the current query,
"a.b.c" is a column c from table b in schema a, "a.b.c.d" is a column
d from table c in schema b in catalog a, and any more than that is
a syntax error. I do not see how to add nested schemas without creating
unworkable ambiguities, not to say outright violations of the spec.