Re: Beta2 Vacuum and pg_dump failures and mangled databases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beta2 Vacuum and pg_dump failures and mangled databases
Date: 2001-01-12 19:35:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de> writes:
> Then I had a look via psql at intranet and it turns out that it shows
> up as the database mpi mangled into the database intranet,
> contentwise; i.e. it doesn't only show the tables that are in intranet
> but also those that belong to mpi?

I think you've been bit by the RelFileNodeEquals bug we found on Monday.
One of the known possible effects of that bug is that a VACUUM can write
blocks of system-catalog tables into the same catalog of a different
database.

You should probably write off your databases as toast ... update to
beta3 and do an initdb. Sorry about that ...