Re: Composite type within a composite type?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Juan Miguel Paredes <juan(dot)paredes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Composite type within a composite type?
Date: 2005-07-18 21:52:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Juan Miguel Paredes <juan(dot)paredes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> DECLARE
> res helpdesk.tp_res_conestadosdisponiblessoporte;
> BEGIN
> IF estadoactual = 'Abierto' THEN
> SELECT INTO res.filas *
> FROM tbl_estadosoporte

Without having looked at the code, I suspect that plpgsql just assumes
res.filas is of scalar type and so fails to match it up to the entire
SELECT INTO * list. (It's not obvious how to do "better" for arbitrary
combinations of scalar types, composite types, and user expectations...)

I'd recommend that you declare a row variable of type tbl_estadosoporte,
select into that, and then worry about constructing the larger composite
result.