Re: Left join error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ligia Pimentel" <lmpimentel(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Left join error
Date: 2001-11-06 19:14:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Ligia Pimentel" <lmpimentel(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I have a table with 146000+ records. I tried to select with a left join to
> another table but I get this message:
> ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 4294967293

Hmm. This might indicate corrupted data --- do you see a similar error
if you just do "select * from cheques" or "select * from formasenblanco"?

If not, then I think you've run into a software bug. It'd be worth
while to update to 7.1.3 before pursuing it further. If you still see
the failure in 7.1.3 then I would like to see an EXPLAIN of the join
query as well as a stack backtrace from the error. The easiest way
to get the stack trace is

in window 1:
fire up psql

in window 2:
use ps to determine PID of the backend your psql is connected to

gdb /path/to/postgres-executable -- do this as postgres user

gdb> attach backend-PID-found-above

gdb> break elog

gdb> continue

in window 1:
issue the problem query

in window 2:
gdb should report reaching the breakpoint. Do

gdb> bt
--- copy & paste results printed here

gdb> quit