Re: encrypted passwords

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: encrypted passwords
Date: 2002-08-14 23:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It also allowed auto-migration to encrypted passwords from an old dump
> file.

Ah, right, that was it: we wanted to be able to have a pg_dumpall script
containing a mix of crypted and noncrypted passwords in CREATE USER
commands be loaded either as-is, or have all the passwords forced to
crypted form, depending on the setting of password_encryption. So we
didn't really want the CREATE USER commands in the script to say exactly
what to do. Therefore, in the design as released the CREATE USER
commands emitted by pg_dumpall don't actually say either ENCRYPTED or
UNENCRYPTED. We didn't see a need for ALREADY_CRYPTED either,
figuring that it would actually be more reliable to deduce that by
looking at the data than by having a separate flag for it.