Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions
Date: 2018-02-19 05:09:59
Lists: pgsql-www

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> On Feb 17, 2018, at 1:35 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> I think yes, let's drop it for unsupported versions. The more we can make it clear to people that they're unsupported, the better.

> Just to argue the other side, just because the versions are unsupported
> does not mean that people are not using those versions and at scale.
> If there is something that is erroneous in the documentation, it would
> not hurt to fix it, and there is a chance it is incorrect in a supported version.

I can't see that we'd expend the effort to fix documentation in
de-supported versions. But certainly, if someone were to point out an
error that also exists in supported versions, we'd wish to fix it in the
supported versions. Is there a way, rather than just blocking comments on
the old versions, to provide a message to the effect of "please comment
on version x.y or newer, if the issue still exists there"?