Re: [HACKERS] Temp Table Memory Leak

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kristofer Munn <kmunn(at)munn(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Temp Table Memory Leak
Date: 2000-01-17 05:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I confirm the leak in 6.5.* --- but I see no leak in current sources.

> Great. Now the big question is should we backpatch, and if so do we
> want a 6.5.4.

Do you have a low-risk patch for this? I recall that we did some
fairly extensive changes involving not only temp tables but the regular
relation cache. Extracting a patch that could be trusted seems like
it might be tough.

> I know you(Tom) have put a number of patches into the 6.5.* branch,
> and we are at least 2 months away from our next release.

I have been throwing low-risk/high-reward fixes into REL6_5 when I
could, with the thought that we might want to do another 6.5.* release.
But I'm undecided on whether we should or not. It seems like we are
close enough to 7.0 beta cycle that we should focus our effort there.