INSERT before UPDATE?

From: Jiří Němec <konference(at)menea(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: INSERT before UPDATE?
Date: 2007-08-16 08:30:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I would like to ask you for an advice.

There are two tables in my PostgreSQL database - main table with datas and
second with translations for all languages of these records.

When I try to UPDATE a record in the language table and this record
doesn't exists there I need to INSERT into the language table (from
default language version) and execute UPDATE statement again.

Could you tell me if is this possible and if so - how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

--
Jiri Nemec
http://www.meneashop.cz/