Re: Contributor listing policy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contributor listing policy
Date: 2008-03-10 00:59:07
Lists: pgsql-www

> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> Actually, looking at the archives, there wasn't much discussion when
>> you submitted the patch; I doubt that most people realized the
>> changes it made. I know that I wasn't clear on it, noticing only the
>> change in sort order, and certainly the rest of the core team (or
>> hackers) didn't discuss it.

> Perhaps you should read again there are actually two threads and there
> was a very long discussion. That every single core member spoke up at
> least once except for Jan. The following is the thread on my patch
> which changed the wording from Developers to Contributors and moved its
> home under /community/.

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-12/msg00022.php

Why is any of this discussion happening on pgsql-www? Surely it is not
the webteam's charter to determine who is or is not a contributor.

If, as is evidently the case, you are unwilling to defer to core's
opinions on the matter, you need to muster support for your position
on some more widely-read mailing list.

>> In fact, traditionally, contents of the developer
>> listings have been determined by the core team;

> As I understand it, traditionally Robert handled that with Core
> oversight.

I don't particularly know who made the webpage edits, but it's always
been core's determination who is or is not listed.

> The reason non code contributors aren't listed is the list has been
> basically unmaintained for over a year.

Traditionally core has reconsidered the list shortly after each major
release. We were in fact in process of doing that now. The long delay
since the last changes is a direct result of the slipped 8.3 schedule.