Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henka" <henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3 PANIC with "corrupted item pointer"
Date: 2007-06-21 15:40:44
Lists: pgsql-general

"Henka" <henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> I happened to notice this error in the log when my application was refused
> a db connection (quite unexpectedly):

> PANIC: corrupted item pointer: offset = 3308, size = 28
> LOG: autovacuum process (PID 18165) was terminated by signal 6

FWIW, the only occurrences of that specific message text are in
PageIndexTupleDelete and PageIndexMultiDelete, so you can be pretty sure
that this is just a corrupted-index problem. Once you've identified
which table has the problem, a REINDEX should fix it.

I concur with the other comments that a crash with fsync off might well
have allowed more corruption than just this to sneak in, though :-(