Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, mali_86(at)outlook(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented
Date: 2021-08-03 14:05:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks> writes:
> I would agree. If it's worth coding it's worth documenting. Unless of
> course the intention is that this is temporary.

Documenting it would mean committing to keeping it indefinitely,
which I think was exactly what people didn't want to do. It's
a kluge and we might find ourselves backed into a situation where
we have to take it out.

> Do we have other undocumented features ?

Yup. There are plenty of behaviors that are explained in code comments
but not anywhere user-visible. If we tried to document absolutely
everything that someone might be curious about, the manual would be
three times its current size, but not more useful.