Re: Roles and Superusers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Keith <keithcelt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roles and Superusers
Date: 2006-07-07 04:26:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Keith <keithcelt(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> It seems that the 'superuser' part of my 'leads' group
> role is not functioning (code below). It appears that
> the security settings are at least partially
> transitive as I have one group role nested within the
> other and I am able to access the appropriate
> resources. The problem is that only a superuser or the
> owner of a table can drop it and even though I am
> supposed to be a superuser, I cannot drop the table!

Then you're not a superuser ;-)

I gather from your example that you are expecting superuserness to
inherit through role membership. It doesn't, and neither do the
other "special" privileges managed via CREATE/ALTER ROLE. It's
arguable whether this is a good policy for eg. CREATEDB, but personally
I think it's the right behavior for the superuser bit. When you pass
out the keys to the kingdom, you want to pass 'em out one recipient
at a time, eh?