Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: oliver_schmidt_(at)hotmail(dot)de
Subject: Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects
Date: 2023-06-12 13:48:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/datatype-binary.html

When deleting a row that references (contains) a large object, I think that
most users expect the DBMS to take care of the, now unreferenced, BLOB. It's
good to know that PostgreSQL handles this differently and that one must
periodically use vacuumlo to avoid BLOB data piling up. At least, that's
what I understood.

I think a small paragraph in the documentation about this would help many
people. I can help with writing, if needed.

Kind regards
Oliver Marienfeld