DROP INDEX - dropping index of a table in a named schema

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pugin2011ilya(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: DROP INDEX - dropping index of a table in a named schema
Date: 2023-05-22 13:43:22
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-dropindex.html

I had to find out (as it is not in the given documentation) that to drop an
index for a table in a named schema (later "schemaname.tablename") you have
to prefix the schemaname for the index inte DROP statement.

Consider
CREATE INDEX indexname ON schemaname.tablename (<some columns>)

To drop it you will have to perform
DROP INDEX schemaname.indexname
(as I have read that indices are tied to schemas)

The following statement will fail (which was not clear from documentation)
DROP INDEX indexname