Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nickf(at)ontko(dot)com
Cc: "Chad R(dot) Larson" <clarson(at)eldocomp(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC
Date: 2002-08-14 22:16:28
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-jdbc

"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com> writes:
> Does -m fast actually close connections on your server?

It works as advertised for me: not only will it cut connections, but it
will abort queries-in-progress. For instance, I did this:

regression=# begin;
BEGIN
regression=# select * from tenk1 a, tenk1 b, tenk1 c;

-- the above would return 100billion rows if given the chance, so
-- after a second or two I issued "pg_ctl stop -m fast" in another
-- window, and promptly got:

FATAL: This connection has been terminated by the administrator.
before or while processing the request.
!#

Successful shutdown was reported by pg_ctl a couple seconds later,
as expected.

Not sure what's going wrong for you --- are you certain you did the test
correctly? Any possibility you ran the wrong script, shut down the
wrong server, etc?