Re: How do I upgrade psql from version 7 to be 10 in Windows 10?

From: Karen Goh <karenworld(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
Cc: "Amit S(dot)" <comeonamit(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do I upgrade psql from version 7 to be 10 in Windows 10?
Date: 2019-07-29 00:46:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, July 29, 2019, 8:33 AM, Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 8:27 PM Karen Goh <karenworld(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

no. I think you have problem understanding my requirements. I need to know how to upgrade my psql 7 to 10! I need to solve this for good

You must dump and restore your database to upgrade from a version that old. pgupgrade will not work with a version jump that drastic.
But, my database is residing in version 10, not 7. So, I really need to just upgrade the psql.exe to version 10. Actually I don’t know why psql is version 7 and the server for my database is in 10.

Use pg_dumpall -g to dump out the global objects (roles, tablespaces, etc). And use pg_dump to dump out the individual databases. And be sure to use the pgdump from version 10 to create the dump files, not the old version.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pg-dumpall.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pgdump.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pgrestore.html

Then you can feed the file created by pg_dumpall into the new database using psql -f since it's a plain sql file.
Then use pg_restore to restore the database dump(s).