Re: pgsql-server/src/include/catalog pg_proc.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/src/include/catalog pg_proc.h
Date: 2002-08-21 03:25:21
Lists: pgsql-committers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> No - that was for my pg_stat_reset patch, and at the time of submission it
> didn't conflict with any other oids...

Yeah, things are moving so quickly now that patches which add catalog
items may easily hit each other in transit. The best short-term
solution seems to be to expect committers to run 'duplicate_oids' before
committing anything that adds catalog entries.

In the long run we might want to think about reassigning the
hand-assigned OIDs in some more-rational fashion; the current OID layout
is a complete mess with no visible rhyme or reason...