Re: Postgres question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Ron Watkins <rwatki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres question
Date: 2020-11-06 22:13:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com> writes:
> Of course pg_dump can also dump blobs, and it's even the default. You
> may use the option --no-blobs to leave them out.
> A glance at the man page can be more informative than just hearing
> something from someone.

Especially information as out of date as that :-(. Glancing at the
commit log, the very first version of pg_dump (in PG 7.0) did not do
blobs, but that was fixed by 7.1. I have a vague recollection that
--no-blobs might've been the default for a while after that, but
certainly it's been well over a decade since it wasn't default.