Re: Perl modules problem on OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Rice <alex_rice(at)arc(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perl modules problem on OS X
Date: 2002-08-14 22:07:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Alex Rice <alex_rice(at)arc(dot)to> writes:
> dyld: perl multiple definitions of symbol _DLAddHead
> /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/mapscript/mapscript.bundle definition
> of _DLAddHead
> /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.bundle definition of _DLAddHead

> The strange thing is, of the 3 modules DBI, Pg and mapscript, all
> 3 work OK independently, but when I use; any two them from the
> same script, the above symbol definitions problem occurs and the
> script dies.

Hm. It would appear that all three modules have copies of libpq.a
statically bound into them, and OS X's dynamic loader won't accept

DLAddHead is presumably just the first conflict the loader ran into
--- if you got rid of that, it'd still fail on PQExec and the other
symbols exported by libpq.

I imagine that this can be worked around by changing the way that
these modules are linked, but I really have no idea exactly what has
to be done or by whom. You might try asking around among OSX gurus
about what to do with name conflicts between libraries.