Re: bug when using special caracter in password for folder.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: François Jourdain <francois(dot)jourdain(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug when using special caracter in password for folder.
Date: 2024-09-04 16:55:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

=?UTF-8?Q?Fran=C3=A7ois_Jourdain?= <francois(dot)jourdain(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I used a é in the password. Also, you can see the interface doesn't
> support well french caracters. you should read S'il vous plaît in the
> prompt.
> the error i had, caused by é in the password, was :
> postgresql l'installation peut avoir échoué l'initialisation du cluster
> de bases de données a échoué

What this sounds like is an encoding problem. Non-ASCII characters
such as é have different bit-level representations depending on
whether you are using UTF-8, ISO 8859-1, WIN1252, etc. Unfortunately
there's usually not a lot Postgres can do about this kind of thing,
since it's impossible to guess reliably what encoding a chunk of text
is meant to be in. You have to be careful to configure your operating
system environment so that the same encoding assumptions prevail
throughout.

In any case, we definitely can do nothing about it with zero context
information. You didn't even mention what OS you're using.