BUG #16603: Permission issue

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: yuri6037(at)outlook(dot)com
Subject: BUG #16603: Permission issue
Date: 2020-09-01 16:09:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16603
Logged by: PostgreSQL create database with full privileges granted to one specific
user.
Email address: yuri6037(at)outlook(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 12.4
Operating system: Linux and Windows

The following MySQL query: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON database_name.* TO
'username'@'localhost'; allows one to assign one database to a given user.
That includes ALL permissions even database creation.
Currently this behavior is impossible in PostgreSQL: One can create a
database and GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES however this won't grant the CREATEDB
permission on that database. The bug/issue here is that CREATEDB cannot be
assigned to a specific database/user combination.

Currently this bug prevents development of some applications. As such in one
of my application I was forced to drop support for PostgreSQL and return to
MySQL.