Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times

From: Scott Whitney <scott(at)journyx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times
Date: 2015-05-01 15:29:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

A few years back, I wrote something very similar to what ended up being in PG, and I've been using it successfully ever since.

I did find there's a law of diminishing returns after about 6 threads running pg_dump.

In my case, I'm on a 6-drive SSD RAID and getting nowhere near the IOPS of the RAID,
but my suspicion is either that I'm maxing my RAID controller's potential or pg_dump just
won't get any faster.

16 cores 3.4GHz in my case.

Now, the interesting thing is that I tried this on spindle arrays, single drives, multiple machines (quad core,
quad proc, dual core, dual core-dual proc, etc) and there always seemed to be a diminishing return around
6 or 8 jobs running.

----- On May 1, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Susan K. McClure <smcclure(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:

> > The DB in question is ~25GB. The processor has 24 Cpus, 12 cores

>> I have tried with "--jobs = 8, 12, and 20" with little or no discernible
> > improvements.

> I would immediately suspect that you might be disk-bound instead of CPU-bound.
> What’s the setup of your storage system?

> --
> Scott Ribe
> scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com
> http://www.elevated-dev.com/